Monday, June 3, 2013

Why create a rental house? Practice


Today is the official launch day for the campaign to start IndieHouse Rentals! My name is Peter Berube. I'm a writer and director working in Los Angeles. Outside of my own projects, the focus of my career has been about keeping artists making art. I may not be in the position to pay everyone yet, but I have built the connections and the relationships to keep people creating. Artist need to create! Not just because it's what we do, but because we need to practice. When you first start out, most of what you make is terrible. I cannot put it in better words than Ira Glass and his video about being creative.




So here's the thing, practice is important to being an artist. Film makers just don't get to have as much practice. It takes too many tools and is so expensive to even just play around with an idea. I've been to a lot of short film festivals and have heard so many people ripping apart the entries. A lot of it has to do with lack of experience. This film maker you're ripping on may have never made a movie before because they've never had the means. If they're lucky, they get to scrape together enough money or equipment to make one short film a YEAR! That's not a lot of practice. It makes it a long process to grow into the artist you are when you only get to make one thing a year.

Think about the subtle ways that you grow when you practice. Repetition and experience build skill. Your mistakes become the invaluable lessons you learn. So how do we help film makers get that practice they need?

We make it easier for them to practice. We make it cheaper for them to have the tools, the right tools. That's what IndieHouse Rentals is all about. I know it's a small start. It needs a lot of help. This is the beginning. I'm going to need to practice to get this idea where it can really help people.

Check out the campaign page and let me know what you think. 


No comments:

Post a Comment